Home sweet home!

It’s been more than a month since our last post and I’m delighted to be sharing this update with you from my desk at 7400 Pershing.  To say that it is peaceful here is an understatement.  Our geothermal cooling is soooooo quiet (and cool!).  Our solar panels are doing their job, too. We received our first electric bill:  $1.85.  Yep, $1.85 in July in St. Louis.  Nice.  Besides sustainable state-of-the-art building systems, being out of the hustle and bustle of Clayton is also more peaceful.  I know we were not exactly in NYC, but our neighbor behind us was the county courts and that comes with all kinds of crazy.  We did move away from food and drink at our doorstep, but our friends at Kaldi’s Coffee are just a few blocks over as are dozens more restaurants that we frequent now that we have to work just a bit harder to get lunch.  Without exception we all feel that we have traded up.  And the light!  The light here is spectacular – not too much and not too little.  On sunny days the only lights we turn on are our fun, Pershing Square neon signs…just because they look fantastic lit up on our Iron Mountain walls (thanks Benjamin Moore)!  We’ve had many visitors already and with them a lot of questions about paint colors, materials, fixtures, etc.  Check back soon for a future blog post where we’ll share our resources with you.

There is still much to be done (exterior painting and landscaping, furniture, shelving, tile, etc.) but we are thrilled to have come this far. The next big Pershing project starts next week when we break ground on our rain garden…stay tuned!  For now, here are some photographs of where things stand today. Special thanks to the fabulous Gregg Goldman for the beautiful shots.  Enjoy and thank you for following us and for sharing our story with others.

New KLI-1117

New KLI-0960

New KLI-0973

New KLI-0948

New KLI-0984

New KLI-1001

New KLI-1016

New KLI-1036

New KLI-1048

New KLI-1070

New KLI-1084

Photographs courtesy of Gregg Goldman Photography

37 Comments

1. 5 September 2013, 10:11 am Brady Miller

Love the look. My only concern is that I would want to take lots of naps as it appears so calming.

• 5 September 2013, 10:32 am Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

come on by Brady…bring your parents! You can nap while we show them around…

2. 5 September 2013, 10:25 am Hal Miller

My son, Brady Miller, forwarded your website. Wow! My wife, in a former life, was an architect and her specialty was space planning. She is also into adaptive reuse. My hot button is energy and recycling. It appears you have appealed to each of our value hot buttons. The photos on your site are terrific! Please let me know if there is a time we may make an appointment to see your facility.

• 5 September 2013, 10:29 am Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

Hello Hal, thanks for the note. Just give us a call to set up a time. We would be happy to give you a tour.

3. 5 September 2013, 10:25 am Tom

It turned out GREAT Deanna! Thanks so much for the tour!

• 5 September 2013, 10:31 am Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

Thanks for following us and for bringing friends by…keep them coming! Help us spread the word…hugs, Deanna

4. 5 September 2013, 11:45 am Meg Clifford Poole

Congratulations and I am glad that I was able to see inside.

5. 5 September 2013, 12:46 pm Kerry Meyer

Just spectacular! Sublime.

6. 5 September 2013, 5:05 pm Diane Noes

WOW! What a beautiful new space. You should be extremely proud. This is a perfect example of your talent.

7. 6 September 2013, 10:54 am David Vanden-Eynden

Two thumbs WAY up! Can I come and work with you? The best things in life take time, but a decade’s worth of design planning and tweaks (and patience) are very evident in the finished product. You rock! Congratulations!

8. 6 September 2013, 10:55 am jennifer

Gorgeous. I absolutely love this. Congratulations!!

9. 6 September 2013, 10:57 am Seri

Deanna, this is awesome. I love that it’s so green of course. Hope to connect with you when you are in California again. Seri

10. 6 September 2013, 11:38 am Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

To those of you that don’t live here or near St. Louis…we do hope that you will be able to visit us in person one day…in the meantime, continue to follow the blog as we will be adding updates as our building matures and continues on its journey…the rain garden comes to mind. Thanks for all of the kind words. XO Deanna

11. 6 September 2013, 11:53 am Laura

The place looks fabulous. So happy for you guys!

12. 6 September 2013, 12:59 pm Zia Khan

Spectacular, Deanna! Congrats!

13. 6 September 2013, 6:47 pm Kelly

Welcome to the neighborhood! We’re happy to have you! Your building marks my morning run ‘turn toward home,’ so I have been watching your steady progress all summer. Congratulations of turning this into a fantastic addition to the neighborhood and rescuing it from its former self. (btw, word on the street is that the folks behind Soulard’s Franco are taking over Bici’s space… so lunch may not be far away!)

• 7 September 2013, 6:30 pm Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

Thanks for the note! We are delighted to be in the neighborhood…a great place. Looking forward to meeting you in the near future. Until then, fingers crossed for a great restaurant!!!

14. 6 September 2013, 7:33 pm Carol Enright (@CarolEnright1)

Congratulations, D!!! Your new digs are SO COOL!!! …and so you!!! : ) Carol

15. 7 September 2013, 8:57 pm Diane

So very impressed with your new space! I cannot wait for my job offer so I can move to StL and work at KL! Bravo….so very happy for your thoughtfulness of the environment.

• 9 September 2013, 12:16 pm Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

Can’t wait to see you stopping in during one of your visits to Chicago!!!

• 9 September 2013, 7:43 pm Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

…We just hope you stop in the next time you are headed to Chicago! Thanks so much Diane…

16. 9 September 2013, 2:08 pm PorterWrite

This is just gorgeous. I hope the rain garden will be abloom in the spring. What a marvelous accomplishment for KLI. A great work environment leads to great ideas and inspiration. I am ready to take up residence in that old gas station today. And I got to see it before ANYTHING had been completed (but the gutting had begun). “Fill ‘er Up! With KLI!”

17. 9 September 2013, 4:05 pm Kimberly Reuther

Looks awesome Deanna! Can’t wait to see it in person!

18. 11 September 2013, 7:57 am Mike Fleury

Wow Deanna, Congratulations on the move. The place looks amazing.

19. 11 September 2013, 9:59 am Pam Williams

Deanna, this is absolutely wonderful. So much work, so much love, so very beautiful and smart. Heartfelt congratulations!

• 11 September 2013, 10:49 am Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.

thanks for visiting the blog Pam…maybe you’ll be at the building one day soon, too!

20. 11 September 2013, 6:47 pm Jeremy Davis

WOW! i especially love the design room with the neon “pershing square” light fixture,
    and the antique reception desk with the gehry chair…….

21. 20 September 2013, 5:19 pm Megan Anderson

I’m a few days late on this, but congrats on the new space-it looks fantastic! I remember the conversations and planning that was going on while I was interning back in 2010. Looks like it was well worth the wait and hard work!